School/District staff need to contact the privacy office(r) or PIA Drafter at their School/District, to determine internal policies for review and signing-off of a Privacy Impact Assessment. Staff may submit PIAs to their Superintendent of Schools for consideration. If you have any questions about this PIA template or FOIPPA in general, you may contact the designated PIA Drafter, or call the provincial Privacy and Access Helpline at Enquiry BC. Completed PIAs must be retained in a secure location at the School/District for the purpose of a Privacy Commissioner’s Audit.
Note: This process can help identify and reduce many of the unintended risks and consequences that may potentially jeapordize student and educator privacy and security issues.
Note: The definition of personal information is: Recorded information about an identifiable individual other than contact information.
The following examples are a non-exhaustive list of personal information:
- Name, address, email address, or telephone number;
- Age, sex, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, marital or family status, blood type;
- Information about an individual’s health care history, including a physical or mental disability;
- Information about an individual’s education, financial, criminal, or employment history;
- Social Insurance Number(SIN) and Personal Education Number (PEN); and
- Personal views, opinions, religious or political beliefs, or associations.